Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. More than half our patients are adults. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is an adult. Tooth alignment can be changed at any age. Orthodontic treatment at later stages in life can not only dramatically improve your personal appearance and self-esteem, but also improve the overall health of your teeth and gums. Crooked teeth and a bad bite can contribute to gum and bone loss, tooth decay, abnormal wear of the tooth enamel and surfaces, headaches, and jaw joint (TMJ/TMD) pain.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Adult treatment options
Dr. Bocage offers a variety of treatment options that are designed specifically for adults. The new techniques and appliances she uses greatly reduces discomfort levels, decreases the frequency of visits, and shortens treatment time. Your options may include translucent cosmetic braces or Invisalign that can be worn to improve your smile without most people even realizing that you are undergoing orthodontic treatment. During the initial examination, Dr. Bocage will be able to determine the best possible treatment for your individual needs and the anticipated length of treatment.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice at (305) 361- 8695 to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.
For more information about why correction of orthodontic problems in Adults is important click in the following link: https://www.aaoinfo.org/system/files/media/documents/PTWF_adults-MLMS-hl_0.pdf