How to brush?
- Use a small amount of fluoride toothpaste and a soft toothbrush
- Brush all around the braces and all surfaces of your teeth
- Spend extra time brushing the area between the gums and braces
- Rinse well after brushing
Here is a great video that shows how to brush and floss:
Brushing: Step 1
Place your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle to your gum.
Brushing: Step 2
Brush gently in a circular motion.
Brushing: Step 3
Brush the outer, inner, and chewing surfaces of each tooth.
Brushing: Step 4
Use the tip of your brush for the inner surface of your front teeth.
How to floss?
- Floss every night before bedtime
- Try using a floss threader to guide the floss under the archwire easily
- Be patient. You will build up speed as you practice
Flossing: Step 1
Using a piece of floss about 18 inches long, carefully thread the end between braces and wire. You may find a floss threader helpful.
Flossing: Step 2
Carefully floss around the braces.
Flossing: Step 3
Carefully floss around the gum areas.
Flossing: Step 4
Carefully floss around each tooth.
Helpful accessory hygiene tools
- Antiseptic dental rinse
- Interproximal toothbrush to clean under your archwire easily
- Waterpik to flush away food debris and plaque in hard-to-reach places. Follow the link below to learn more about Waterpik waterflosser: https://youtu.be/NJGyii47Wow